The Modern Honolulu Hotel Review by The Hawaii Admirer.
I was recently invited to spend two nights at The Modern Honolulu hotel, it’s always been a favourite of mine. I had previously stayed here with my besties on a girlfriend getaway to Hawaii in 2014 and I’ve loved it ever since.
The hotel has been enhanced since my last visit but one thing remains the same, The Modern Honolulu still oozes with charm and its cool factor is stronger than ever.
The Modern Honolulu is located at the west end of Waikiki fronting the Ala Wai Boat Harbor. It’s a leisurely 20 minute walk to Waikiki Beach, or you can arrange a taxi, Uber or Lyft ride for next to nothing.
It’s location away from the hustle and bustle is what makes this hotel a tropical oasis, a couples holiday and honeymoon haven!
Hotel at a glance:
- Boutique property with 17 floors and 353 rooms including 26 oceanfront suites
- Spectacular views of the marina and Pacific Ocean
- Two pools and a poolside bar
- The Grove and Passageway on-site eateries serving local cuisine
- Ravish on-site restaurant featuring Pacific-inspired soul food
- Lather Spa offering lomi lomi massage, body treatments and facials
- The Study Lounge, a hidden lobby bar
- ADDICTION a-list nightclub open Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights
- Complimentary yoga on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays
- Winner of countless design awards
- The hotel is only a 10 minute stroll to Ala Moana Center
- Four-legged doggie friends can sleepover (for local guests)
10 Things I Loved About The Modern Honolulu:
01. The Check-In Experience
02. White Minimalist Rooms
03. Not One But Two Balconies
04. Not One But Two Pools
05. Daybed Experiences
06. A Ravish-ing Restaurant
07. Avo on Toast ++
08. Cocktails at The Study Lounge
09. 24-Hour Room Service
10. Views at Sunset & Friday Nights
There are so many things I rate about the check-in experience of this hotel.
- Every stay at The Modern Honolulu begins with a sweet scent that permeates the lobby, a fragrance created exclusively for the hotel. It’s highly addictive and made me look forward to returning to the hotel LOL.
- They have lovely, hip hotel staff who actually make a grey cardigan look good!
- The Wrecktangle sculpture behind the reception desk is actually made from broken pro surfboards (super cool).
- You receive a seriously refreshing welcome drink and cold towel on arrival.
I stayed in a luxury Ocean View Suite with a separate living room and private bedroom.
The bed was really comfortable and I melted into the pillows.
There is something about immersing yourself in white space that makes you feel refreshed and brings on a sense of serenity.
All of the hotel rooms are adorned with creative artwork, a colorful ukulele and tropical sarongs hanging on the wall. Feel free to borrow them.
The balconies are a highlight of the hotel, especially if you are staying in an Ocean View Suite because you’ll have two of them.
A sun-lounger and side-table beckon you on one balcony, while a second balcony features a two seat and table set.
The Duke Kahanamoku Lagoon and Pacific Ocean are just steps from the property.
With swimming pools, daybeds, deck chairs, a poolside bar, palm trees and marina views, The Modern Honolulu has a true resort feel.
The Sunset Pool is surrounded by sand, the next best thing to being at the beach.
The Sunrise Pool is at the heart of the hotel. It’s lined with deck chairs and you’re within close proximity to the pool bar.
Speaking of the pool bar, here it is! It’s especially gorgeous at night when the bottle lights hanging amongst the trees glow.
While I didn’t get the chance to hire a daybed this stay, I did book this amazing service with my girlfriends back in 2014. It’s a VIP way to spend the day and worth every penny.
Ravish is the on-site restaurant at The Modern Honolulu (for those familiar with the hotel, it replaced Morimoto restaurant). The cuisine is Pacific-inspired soul food and I thoroughly enjoyed every mouthful and sip 🙂
The setting is very romantic, fairy lights on an open-air deck with boats dotted in the distance.
RELATED >> Ravish Restaurant Facebook Photo Album
As an Australian, whenever I find avocado on toast it’s an immediate winner! This version served at The Passageway was next-level.
In general, the food at The Modern Honolulu is fresh and focused on utilising local ingredients. The menu features a lot of healthy options, which can be hard to find at other Waikiki hotels.
They also serve a beer brewed exclusively for The Modern Honolulu, it’s good!
Is there anything cooler than a hotel lobby bookshelf that secretly inches open at 6:00pm to reveal a hidden bar? I think not.
The Study Lounge offers an awesome Happy Hour, mixologist cocktails, regular events like Whisky Club Wednesdays and a top line-up of local music.
The venue is very “sexy librarian” and attracts a great weekend crowd.
I had the Daily Specialty Cocktail from the Happy Hour menu (daily 6:00-8:00pm), nice and strong for only US$8.
I really value having 24-hour room service, it’s a rarity to find these days. I mean, who doesn’t love a midnight feast!?
I’ll let this image speak for itself.
The sunset from the bedroom was indeed a masterpiece!
If you’re lucky enough to stay at The Modern Honolulu on a Friday night you can catch Waikiki’s Free Fireworks Show launching from the Duke Kahanamoku Lagoon next door. Be ready at 7:45pm September-April and 8:00pm May-August.
Would you like to stay at The Modern Honolulu?
SPECIAL OFFER: The Hawaii Admirer 10% discount + waived Resort Fee (normally US$30 per room per night).
Dates available through March 2019.
Booking Link (Booking Code: HADMIRER)
[DISCLOSURE] At no extra cost to you, The Hawaii Admirer will earn a small commission for purchases made through the affiliate links in this post.